The Hilltop neighborhood near Downtown Denver got its name due to the fact that it is higher in elevation than the surrounding city. Homes for sale in Hilltop are highly sought after when they include luxurious Mediterranean estates, classic Tudors, or newly built sophisticated contemporary homes.
The predominant architecture is two stories and ranches from the 1930s to 1960s. However, many of those have been extensively remodeled and continue to be replaced with larger homes. The smaller and older homes of about 900 square feet are generally priced from $350,000 to $1.2 million. They range from 900 square feet to expansive ranches and colonial styles as well as historic homes. The more luxurious homes range in price from $1 million to $4 million and are usually over 3,000 square feet and have finished basements.
The population has more than doubled in the past ten years, and the median household income is over $100,000. Living in Hilltop gives the homeowner a sense of security, successful accomplishment, and a promise of an even better life in an area with responsible friendly neighbors.
Lloyd M. Joshel House
This is one of Denver’s finest distinctive examples of the residential International Style architecture and is a Denver landmark. Built in 1951, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 28, 1995. The house is devoid of ornament and relies for visual interest on the materials and the cubist composition. It is horizontally oriented with linked ribbon windows, glass curtain walls, and exterior walls that are eave-less.
This is a Denver city park in the center of the Hilltop neighborhood that is most famous for being the highest point in Denver, having spectacular views of the Front Range mountains, and for its large astronomical sculpture called a sundial, which also serves as a climbing place for children. A polar chart at the base of the sundial describes the zodiac and degrees of the sun’s position, and explains how to set a clock based on the shadow. It was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on September 17, 1986. This is the second sundial as the first one donated in 1941 was destroyed by vandals exploding dynamite in 1965, but a replacement was placed in March of 1966 after a city-wide fund-raising effort.