Cherry Creek is famous for its bike path and walkability; renowned for its upscale shopping, fine dining, and an all-around nightlife setting where it’s always on trend to sip and be seen. In addition to these highly desired benefits in a place to live, Cherry Creek real estate offers some of Denver’s finest historic homes updated with modern luxury amenities. How could Cherry Creek possibly be any cooler?
On your next walk, run, or cycle through modern Cherry Creek, consider these interesting historical facts about the genesis of this highly-sought Denver area:
- Without Cherry Creek, Colorado may never have become a state. Gold was discovered in diggings in and around Cherry Creek in 1858, launching the Pikes Peak Gold Rush which soon brought over 100,000 people to the tiny area.
- The first edition of the Rocky Mountain News (April 1859) identified its headquarters as being located in Cherry Creek.
- The oldest house in Denver still stands at Four Mile Historic Park, located just off the bike path in south Cherry Creek. For less than a cup of coffee, you can tour the museum, visit the animals, and check out the antique farm equipment that Cherry Creek’s pioneers used to carve out a life in this area.
- Petrified wood and fossil mammal bones have been known to wash down from forests into Cherry Creek.
- Cherry Creek was named for the beautiful chokecherry shrub or small tree found in abundance along the creek. The chokecherry fruit was a staple of the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes that often foraged there. Native Americans and gold-seeking settlers both used the chokecherry roots to treat common colds and stomach ailments.
Cherry Creek isn’t just one of the hottest luxury areas to live in, it has everything a well-rounded lifestyle requires. From historical roots to legendary living, Cherry Creek just can’t be beat.
Looking to buy or sell a luxury home in the Denver area? Contact us today to learn more about all that Denver real estate has to offer for your discerning lifestyle.