When people decorate their homes, they usually think about colors, shapes and styles of interior decoration that might suit them. But they don’t often think about texture which is actually a very important component of interior design.
Color, Shape and Texture
The right colors and shapes with the wrong textures will create an uncomfortable feeling in the home. But the wrong colors and shapes with the right textures could still be comfortable. Don’t you have a favorite t-shirt which is faded and stretched out but feels really good? This is something like that.
Looking Good vs. Being Comfortable
It’s not that you need to set up an interior which looks wrong but feels right. But in addition to an interior that looks good, you also want one that’s comfortable. And that’s why you need to pay attention to texture. So where do you start?
- Upholstery: One good place to start is with your upholstery. When you sit down on your couch, does the material feel soft and comfortable or is it rough and hard? Obviously you want to go with the former rather than the latter. So make sure that you’re comfortable on the furniture you buy.
- Carpets: You can also introduce soft textures by getting carpets that feel good on your bare feet. It’s very important to check the carpet with your bare feet first. A shag carpet or a furry carpet are ideal. A jute carpet often looks good but may not have a good texture.
- Cushions: You can also add cushions to your furniture as long as they are made from a soft fabric. Satin cushions often look great and come in lovely bright colors. Plus, they’re also very soft to the touch.
- Curtains: When it comes to curtains, you may think that you don’t need to pay attention to the texture. After all, you’re not going to touch them very often. But the fact is that there is a subliminal message going to your brain when you see something that has a rough texture. And this can make you uncomfortable even if you’re not in direct contact with that thing.
- Bedsheets: Texture is the reason why people go with Egyptian cotton for their bedsheets. It has a high thread count and it feels unbearably soft to sleep on.
So when you’re doing up your luxury home, be sure to consider texture. Contact us for help finding your perfect Metro Denver Luxury Home.